Pages

Wednesday 9 October 2013

Confessions of a Luddite

I admit it - I am a Luddite. 

It's not that I hate technology - I think it has its place - it's more that I just cannot be bothered to keep up with it.  Hence I have only a handful of friends on Facebook, have never Tweeted and although I do have a smartphone and an ipad, I have a shamefully small number of apps.  If I were 20 years older this would be more acceptable, but as I am of an age where a love of technology and endless hunger for social networking are more or less expected of me it is rather embarrassing.  Most things that can be done with whizz-bang technology I prefer to do by hand.  I don't have many kitchen gadgets, I am currently using a 60 year old sewing machine that only does straight stitch and frankly even Play TV baffles me somewhat, much to my daughter's endless amusement. 

Today though, I have turned a corner.  I downloaded "Afterlight" the phone editing app and I am hooked.  This thing is fantastic!  Even for the tech challenged like me.  You can take a happy snap, correct it, crop it, whack a filter on if that kind of thing floats your boat, put a pretty frame on it and you are done in a matter of minutes.  Much better than the laborious process I've been using up till now...on paint.net.  Don't laugh - it works and unlike Photoshop it is free!



See?!  Pure fun - if a little bit overdone I suppose.  Everything looks better when it is in a circle frame.

I'm not sure if it will be any use for product photos as the quality of the ones I took this afternoon aren't quite what I am used to, but then again it is entirely possible that's just my abysmal photography skills and not related to the iphone at all.  I have a very lovely Nikon DSLR, but such is my Luddite-ism that I haven't yet made friends with it and I have had it for almost 2 years now.  I was able to get better photos with my ancient Finepix point and shoot - and I know it's not the camera...it's me.

No comments:

Post a Comment